New Carlisle-Olive Township Public Library
Job Description – Student Intern
Supervisor – Children’s Coordinator
Hours – Part-time 20 hours per week. May 28-July 26, 2019. Some evenings and weekends
Wage Range: $9.50/hour, not eligible for holiday pay
Under the guidance of the Children’s Coordinator, the summer intern will assist in preparing and presenting summer programs and offer excellent customer service to patrons.
- A high school junior or senior, or college student with an interest in elementary education or STEM fields.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with the public and staff
- Desire and ability to work with children and families
- Assist in preparing and presenting summer programs
- Explain the summer reading program and award prizes for reaching each level of reading hours
- Assists customers in finding library materials
- Shelve library materials
- Shelf reading
- Assist in keeping collection in good order
- Assist with library displays as needed
- Assists patrons with basic computer use
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to work with patrons in a friendly and tactful manner
- Knowledge of personal computers and related hardware, email, and office software
- Ability to learn computer programs and use them effectively
- Skill in checking information for accuracy and completeness and correcting errors
- Ability to organize materials alphabetically and numerically
- Ability to use basic office equipment
- Experience with engineering, robotics, or coding a plus
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use their hands and fingers to handle or feel; to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands; lift, push/pull and carry objects up to 25 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be exposed to room temperature changes
- The employee may be exposed to noise levels that are low to moderate.