New Carlisle-Olive Township Public Library
Job Description – Outreach Assistant
Hours – Part-time 24 hours per week. Non-exempt. Some evenings and weekends.
Wage Range: $11-16 per hour
Supervisor – Director
The Outreach Assistant provides exceptional service to patrons, coordinates delivery to homebound patrons and extended care facilities, coordinates volunteers, and performs basic circulation and clerical tasks.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with the public and staff
- Excellent customer service and organization skills
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Valid driver’s license
- Selects and delivers materials for homebound customers and extended care facilities
- Recruits, coordinates, and supervises volunteers, working closely with Adult and Children’s Coordinator to determine need
- Issues and renews library cards
- Assists customers in finding library materials
- Answers phone, provides routine information, or transfers calls
- Assists with set-up, break down, and prep work for library programs.
- Checks items in and out at circulation desks
- Keeps local history collection in good order
- Assist with library displays
- Assists Adult and Children’s Coordinator at community events
- Attends workshops, training, and staff development as requested
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Supports and contributes to overall library mission and goal
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to work with the public in a friendly and tactful manner
- Knowledge of personal computers and related hardware, email, and office software
- Skill in checking information for accuracy and completeness and correcting errors
- Ability to organize materials alphabetically and numerically
- Ability to use basic office equipment
- Ability to drive library vehicle
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use their hands and fingers to handle or feel; to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands; lift, push/pull and carry objects up to 25 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be exposed to room temperature changes.
- The employee may be exposed to noise levels that are low to moderate.