New Carlisle-Olive Township Public Library
Job Description – Outreach Assistant
Hours – Part-time 20-24 hours per week. Non-exempt. Some evenings and weekends.
Wage Range: $12-16 per hour
Supervisor – Director
The Outreach Assistant provides exceptional service to patrons, coordinates delivery to homebound patrons and extended care facilities, coordinates volunteers, and performs basic circulation and clerical tasks.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with the public and staff
- Excellent customer service and organization skills
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Valid driver’s license
- Selects and delivers materials for homebound customers and extended care facilities
- Recruits, coordinates, and supervises volunteers, working closely with Adult and Children’s Coordinator to determine need
- Assist with library displays
- Assists Adult and Children’s Coordinator at community events
- Issues and renews library cards
- Assists customers in finding library materials
- Answers phone, provides routine information, or transfers calls
- Assists with set-up, break down, and prep work for library programs.
- Checks items in and out at circulation desks
- Attends workshops, training, and staff development as requested
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Supports and contributes to overall library mission and goal
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to work with the public in a friendly and tactful manner
- Knowledge of personal computers and related hardware, email, and office software
- Skill in checking information for accuracy and completeness and correcting errors
- Ability to organize materials alphabetically and numerically
- Ability to use basic office equipment
- Ability to drive library vehicle
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to sit, use their hands and fingers to handle or feel; to stand, walk, reach with arms and hands; lift, push/pull and carry objects up to 25 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be exposed to room temperature changes and occasionally to variable weather conditions.
- The employee may be exposed to noise levels that are low to moderate.
NCPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Applicants are considered for all roles without regard to race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin, citizenship status, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital, parental, veteran or military status, unfavorable military discharge, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.