Researchers at Syracuse University reviewed 50 years of research on family traditions. Here are some of the things that they discovered. When families incorporate rituals and traditions into daily life:
- Family relationships are stronger and more resilient. This includes staying connected even in the face of conflict, solving problems together, and maintaining a positive outlook.
- Children feel worthy of love and feel accepted as people.
- Children feel like they can count on others.
- Children gain a stronger sense of personal identity.
- Family members feel less stressed by daily family life.
- Physical and mental health outcomes improve.
- Children perform better academically
A few years ago, I was talking with my cousin and she told me that she had changed the books in her family’s book basket. When I asked her for details, she explained that over the years she had collected copies of favorite books and packed them away. She changed them out and her kids were so excited when it was time for the Halloween books or the Valentine’s Day favorites, etc. Even as they got older, they still looked for the new arrivals of their old favorites!
What a beautiful way to establish lifelong readers!